Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wednesday (3): " I place my trust in you, Herr Oberst"

"In the years following those events, I continued my career in the Bundeswher, until this year" said the Colonel "and I was even promoted to the rank of Oberst (Colonel)"...
Johnny interrupted: "I'm sorry: Again ? I tought you were already a Colonel in GDR armed forces ?"
The Colonel nodded shortly: "I was. But when some officers of the extinct GDR armed forces were integrated in the Bundeswher, they were demoted one rank. I was Oberst, (Colonel), so I entered the Bundeswher with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. That's why, when those events took place in 1992,  I was Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant-Colonel) in the Bundeswher."
Johnny nodded: "I understand".
"So, years went by, and I was promoted again to the rank of Colonel, mostly  in charge of bureaucratic work."
The Colonel smiled briefly: "And I was getting close to my retirement, also." He made a weird and bitter expression:  "I'm now as good as retired anyway... But let me continue..."The man leaned back in his chair, the first relaxed movement I saw him do.
"In the beginning of this year, I received orders to present myself at Eckernförde".

Eckernförde, in the Baltic Sea
 "Eckernförde ?" I asked (my knowledge of German is not that extensive, so I had no idea what he was talking about).
"Eckernförde is near Kiel, in the North of Germany" the Colonel explained "it's the base of, between other things, the MITA company, a unit belonging to the SEK M".
Our blank expressions told the colonel that we were totally lost.
"MITA stands for Minentaucher; the Minentaucherkompanie are the german navy's mine clearing divers, a very elite unit wich is part of SEK M, the Navy special forces. The SEK M, equivalent to the American Navy Seals, has combat divers, the Kampfschwimmer, but also mine clearance divers. Do you understand ?" The Colonel's voice sounded a bit impatient.
"Crystal." I awnsered. "So you were ordered to meet this mine clearance divers unit at... Eckernförde, right ?".
 "That's correct." The Colonel opened both hands as to underline his point: "I was Army, you see? So you can understand my surprise, being ordered to join a Navy unit. But I went to Eckernförde, of course. When I arrived at Eckernförde, my direct superior was there. He was General A."

(Note from me: Here I must apologize -  the name of "General "A" must remain a secret for the time being. Let's say it's part of our "ensurance policy": a kind of "nuclear weapon" to be released only in the case of our... sudden death. I'm sure all you readers out there will understand).

Minentaucher - Mine clearance divers of the German Navy
Coat of Arms
"The General was waiting there for me" the Colonel continued "and our conversation was very short and very much to the point. "Wolfgang" he asked me "you were the officer in charge of security at Schwepnitz, when the Russians were leaving, in 92. Is this correct?" I was dumbfounded by the question but I told him that he was right.
"And you were responsable for the reception and storage of a cargo of 32 chemical drums, when you were there, wasn't so?"
"It was so, General."
The General waved his head a if he was very worried:
"Wolfgang, did the Russians told you to flood the bunkers with those drums in there ?"
The Colonel stared at us: "That's when it started to hit me that "maybe" someone was trying to pin the blame for some stupid mistake on ME. So, I told him: "Yes, General, but the instructions, despite being originally issued from Moscow, were confirmed by the Bundeswher's headquarters. I was not goin to flood a russian secret base without confirmation, not in those days!"

SEK M - German Navy Special Forces
Coat of Arms
"When I said that, maybe a bit defensively, the General tried to look friendly" the Colonel told us. "He even assured me he was not blaming me...
"Well Wolfgang, that was a mistake" he said. "Not your mistake: I'm aware that you received your orders. But someone's mistake, nevertheless. We have to correct that mistake, as soon and as quietly as possible."
The Colonel smiled at us: "I should have know that, when the army tells you things are to be kept quiet, someone's got or is about to get into a very serious shitstorm."
At this point, the Colonel shrugged:
"Anyway, the General leaned over his desk and continued to talk to me in a very confidential tone: "I hate to put you in this position Colonel, but your knowledge of this matter and the trust that I place in you, assure me that I will not be disappointed. I'm putting you in charge of  a team of special force's divers, you will go to Schwepnitz discreetly, and you will  take those damned drums out of there, Wolfgang."
The Colonel made a cold smile at us:
"That son of a bitch."




Glossary
(to help you understand all those German names)

Bundeswher - Germany armed forces.
GDR - Former East Germany armed forces (it doesn't exist anymore)
Oberst - Colonel
Oberstleutnant - Lieutenant-Colonel
Eckernförde - Coastal city in the north of Germany, near Kiel.
MITA, Minentaucher - Mine Clearance Military Divers
Minentaucherkompanie - Company of Mine Clearance Divers
SEK M, Spezialisierte Einsatzkräfte Marine - Navy Special Forces
Kampfschwimmer - Combat divers

No comments:

Post a Comment